[OS X TeX] TeX i-Package updated (foo-sys/foo workaround, font map search improvement)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jun 24 17:51:50 CEST 2006

Le 24 juin 06 à 17:13, Gary L. Gray a écrit :

> I want to make sure that I am understanding this (I am the only
> user on this machine, if that helps). So, if I keep all my
> additions (fonts, class files, style files, macros I input, etc.) in:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/
>
> and *I* don't put anything in texmf.local, then it appears that I
> should be editing /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf as described above. Is
> that correct? Who puts stuff in texmf.local since I didn't put
> anything there? This is still so confusing. :-)
>
> So, if I am the only user on this machine, I can put all local
> additions in ~/Library/texmf/ and I should run use:
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map MyMap.map
>
> for enabling map files. Yes? No? Depends?
>
> I just noticed that I do have "updmap" directories in the following
> locations:
>
> /Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap
> /Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap
> /Users/gray/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap
>
> Should they be there?

I'm as confused as you are. I dream that somebody writes a summary
describing all the combinations, what they do and when they should
(or should not) be used:

sudo -H updmap-sys
sudo -H updmap
sudo updmap-sys
sudo updmap
updmap-sys
updmap

What I would think (but I'm not sure that is correct) is "sudo updmap-
sys" won't work for you. It will read the files from ~/Library/texmf,
and generate map files in texmf.local. Given you have already updmap-
generated map files inside ~/Library/texmf, these will take
precedence over any more recent map file generated by updmap-sys in
texmf.local, so that your additions won't be seen.

I won't be able to contribute more to this thread, I'll be away until
the end of next week. Giving a talk on Tuesday, flying there on
Monday, talk all but ready, and now I'm realizing there is no version
yet of the Keynote Linkback plugin for Keynote 3. Remember <http://
www.liacs.nl/~hoogeboo/calvin.gif>? Oh well...