[OS X TeX] Should I install X11 ?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 23 01:17:35 CEST 2006

On 23-jun-2006, at 0:56, Robert Bruner wrote:

>> There isn't much you gain from installing X11. Maybe some experience.
>> And in the end you might end with  my application to make X11 a bit
>> more useful. (http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/ -> Applications Table)
>
> I like Xfig for drawing diagrams that are way too
> tedious to write out in XYpic.  Is there an analogous
> program that doesn't depend on X11?

Depending on the type of diagram, you may want to try any of the
following:

InkScape: Aims to be an illustrator replacement. GPL
http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=

Fro drawing all kinds of connected diagrams and flowing thingies.
Commercial, a copy may have been included with your (pro-level) Mac.
http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnigraffle/

For Graphs and flow charts (engine free, UI gratis).
http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/

3D, gratis
http://sketchup.google.com/

Maarten