[OS X TeX] ANN: AquaTkbibtex 1.3

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:05:37 CEST 2006

Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 21 juin 06 à 20:26, Kevin Walzer a écrit :
>
>> I've released version 1.3 of AquaTkbibtex, my "Aquified" version of  the
>> venerable tkbibtex editor developed by Peter Corke. The new release
>> is a
>> universal binary and includes a refined interface for printing
>> documents. It is licensed under the GPL. For more information, see
>> http://aquatkbibtex.sourceforge.net/.
>

> Warning: this answer is OT, and may be viewed as a rant.
>
> However, the  move from freeware to shareware without prior notice
> seems unethical  to me: a free beta version is released, people are
> starting to use  it, they are reporting bugs either directly to you or
> through a  mailing list, you are getting beta testers for free in this
> way, and  then suddenly without prior notice the software is made
> shareware  when reaching release quality, so that people have to pay
> for  continuing to use it.
>
> I was shocked when realizing this, in the same way as I had been
> shocked some time ago when Claus Gerhardt's Flashmode scripts, after
> testing as freeware on this list IIRC, became suddenly and without
> prior notice shareware.

Qualitatively, they do look like the CDDB - Gracenote switch and, to
quote Wikipedia, "The maneuver was and remains controversial, because
the CDDB database was and is built on the voluntary submission of CD
track data by thousands of individual users, who received no
compensation for their work."

Quantitatively, everything seems different.

And so, Walzer's response to your post seems quite acceptable to me.

Regards
--schremmer