[OS X TeX] Hell cools down... (slightly)

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Thu Jun 22 15:15:08 CEST 2006

Le 22 juin 06 à 12:44, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> The new icon is delightful (simple, bare-bones, clean, exactly as I
> like), and it's nice to see the old menus back. And the magnifier
> lens, with unmagnified output shown dimmed in the background, looks
> great.

Indeed.

> However, it really seems difficult to use: no VirTeX format which
> means no possibility to compile a new format, and no documentation.
> Drag-and-dropping a file onto the new Textures doesn't open it. A
> new Windows > TeX Metrics window which I suppose provides the
> functionality of the former separate EdMetrics application, or of
> the former File > Show Fonts item, but there's no indication ever
> of how to use it. Edit window without horizontal "slider".

Alpha they said ;-)

> Every time I tried to open one of my former Textures file, a crash
> when attempting to typeset, or open the View window. Only
> TeXRefCard.tex opened successfully so far (but I couldn't switch
> from portrait to landscape, as Page Setup doesn't seem to do
> anything). Possibly a consequence of most of my documents typeset
> with virtual fonts.

Same for me... It seems Textures crashes when trying to load the
format...

In plain TeX, flash mode works quite fast.

however, when in LaTeX, the log window is only updated at the end of
a typeset and the typesetting seems to be performed in batch mode
(alpha...). Furthermore, the .aux file does not seem to be generated...

An interesting read is the two .h files found in the application bundle:
-- created in july 2004;
-- there is a hint of EPSF support by the dvi viewer;
-- Textures seems to want support for an external Postscript
converter...

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)