[OS X TeX] [OT] Matrixes (Matrices)?

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 21 15:01:16 CEST 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:39:22AM -0700, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:
>Apologize for the off topic message, but I figured I could actually
>get more accurate answer here since it is slightly technical ... very
>slightly. :P

Hi,

Perhaps it's just me, but I've noticed an awful lot of recent posts to
this list starting off by admitting that what they're about to ask is
off-topic.

Am I alone in finding this a little irritating? If you know it's
off-topic, it remains off-topic -- even if you know that knowledgable
people are reading it.

While I realise and agree that MacOSX-TeX considers anything TeX-related
(OS X or otherwise) on-topic (and OS X related TeX stuff doubly so), and
I welcome the the uniquely friendly and responsive community, I wonder
if this general mandate is seeing us drift into generic academic,
desktop publishing and OS X questions.

Does anyone agree, or am I being a pedantic misanthrope? I'd be
particularly interested in hearing from Gary and those extremely helpful
people who post more often than I do, since I have no wish to force my
view on the list.

I really don't want to single out Jung-Tsung Shen here. I'm sorry if I
come across as crabby or as a mostly-lurking subscriber throwing their
weight around.

Thanks,
--
Michael Williams