[OS X TeX] feed env contents to command

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 11:25:37 CEST 2006

On 6/19/06, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at mac.com> wrote:
> Le 19 juin 06 à 10:56, Alex Scorpan a écrit :
>
> > How do I define an environment gaga so that
> >
> >       \begin{gaga}
> >       blah
> >       \end{gaga}
> >
> > interprets to
> >
> >       \gugu{blah}
>
> Something along the lines of:
>
> \newenvironment{gaga}
>    {\gugu\begingroup}
>    {\endgroup}
>
> might work,

No, that will not work. This will cause \gugu to use \begingroup as
its argument.

Try

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\makeatletter
\newenvironment{gaga}{Pre\collect at body\gugu}{Post}
\newcommand*\gugu[1]{``#1''}
\makeatother
\begin{document}
\begin{gaga}
Some text.
\end{gaga}
\end{document}

Caveat: Does not work for multi paragraph contents.

> taken (so that the environment remains robust even with multi-
> paragraph content, or when a page break occurs within the
> environment; and also so that the environment content does not risk
> saturating TeX's memory before the end of the environment is
> reached). For insight into these issues, I'd recommend the TeXbook. I

The memory barriers are quite hard to hit unless you make an error
these days. Fortunately I might add... :-)

Morten