[OS X TeX] typsetting in TeXShop

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jun 14 10:33:29 CEST 2006

Am 14.06.2006 um 05:58 schrieb jkock:

> The next question is how to set this environment variable -- this is
> nontrivial if it doesn't already work out of the box.  The obvious
> idea
> from a unix viewpoint is just to write it in .profile or
> in .bashrc, but
> unfortunately, in general, GUI applications inherit their environment
> variables from the login-window process, which is not a child
> process of
> any of those that read .profile or .bashrc, so it will not respect
> those
> settings.  There is a way to circumvent this by specifying the
> environment
> variables in a certain .plist file.  Then it will be respected by
> all GUI
> applications.  However, Gerben Wierda strongly discourages changing
> this
> file, because some of his own applications are fragile w.r.t.
> environment
> variables and expect certain default settings in order to work.

Gerben Wierda's i-Installer has learned from this disasters and does
not get fooled by false settings any more.

If you do not have the file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist yet, you'd
need to invoke on the command line

	mkdir ~/.MacOSX

and then create and edit the file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist with
something like

	 defaults write ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist TEXEDIT "/Applications/
AlphaX/Tools/alphac +%d %s"

To check what's in the file: 'defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment'

To remove a specific key/value pair: 'defaults delete ~/.MacOSX/
environment.plist TEXEDIT'

With Apple's DeveloperTools package (and Xcode updates too?) comes /
Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property List Editor.app. The Public
Domain offers other GUIs like PlistEdit Pro (http://homepage.mac.com/
bwebster/plisteditpro.html), PrefSetter (http://homepage.mac.com/
darkshadow02/apps.htm#prefsetter) and the PLTools (http://
www.macorchard.com/PLTools/) for the command line.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"They're putting dimes in the hole in my head to see the change in me."