[OS X TeX] ISO Help - Getting PDF Fonts Right

Jeffrey Weimer weimerj at email.uah.edu
Thu Jun 8 23:42:32 CEST 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 2:46 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> \usepackage{mathptmx}
> \usepackage[scaled=0.87]{helvet}
> \usepackage{courier}
> \normalfont
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage{textcomp}

OK, I feel a bit embarrassed. I do have the packages to use these.
However, the PDF still contains fonts such as NimbusRom ... and
NimbusSan and StandardSymL ..., which must mean ...

On Jun 8, 2006, at 3:55 PM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> ... Just a quick note: on a standard install, this will use times,
> helvetica and courier "look alikes", not the real deal. I consider
> this a good thing, because it means you don't have to rely on
> whatever is available on the printing computer (often Arial). This
> also means that the fonts are included in the pdf, but subsetting
> is on by default (I think). I'm not sure if pdfTeX is configured to
> recognise the PS Base 14 fonts (and their replacements) as non-
> embedable. i-Installer has an option to include the base-14 fonts,
> but since those fonts aren't included anyway, I'm suddenly not so
> sure what that actually means.
>
> If you want to prevent crashes at the printers' office, make sure
> all glyphs are included in the pdf.

So, at the risk of being told to RTFM (which I will gladly do if
shown the shelf where it is), how do I make sure all glyphs are
included?

Thanks!
--
Chemistry / Chemical & Materials Engineering
University of Alabama in Huntsville, Sparkman Dr