[OS X TeX] Font issues [was: dvips problem] - resolved

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Thu Jun 8 10:26:19 CEST 2006

With much gratitude for the willingness of this list's contributors  
to persist in trying to help me solve my font problem, I can report  
that it is now resolved.

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 at 22:49:43 +0200, Bruno Voisin wrote:

[a great many detailed suggestions about how to look for the root of  
the problem.  I can say that nearly all of the things he suggested  
turned up perfectly well-formed answers: yes, the maps in /usr/local/ 
teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/{dvips,pdftex,dvipdfm}/updmap/ had  
all of the necessaryl lines referring to Garamond.  Yes, the encoding  
name, though strange, is what is referenced in the enc files.  Yes,  
the files are all in the right places -- though I'll spare you the  
output that establishes that.  And yes, /usr/local/teTeX/share/ 
texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg says the right thing about my maps.  And  
finally, I don't have a directory ~/Library/texmf/web2c -- although  
this has been recreated for me a couple of times during my efforts to  
solve the problem, that didn't happen the last time.  But the key, as  
Bruno's intuition told him, was:]
> Could you look inside ~/Library/texmf/ to see whether similar files
> psfonts.map etc. are present there?
> [....]
> Without such indications, it's really difficult to help. I still tend
> to think for now this is a problem of per-user vs. per-computer
> setup, and the use of updmap with or without -H and with or without  
> -sys.

I had carefully gone through ~/Library/texmf to remove all such map  
files, and so I thought this couldn't be the issue.  But following up  
on other advice:

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 at 13:47:34 -0700 (PDT), mark oilcan wrote:

> So, are you sure that
> there's nothing in your personal tree that's messing things up? To  
> verify
> this be sure to move ~/Library/texmf to something else, e.g.
> ~/Library/texmf.old. I assume you've done this to no avail.

A rash assumption, unfortunately.  So I tried moving my whole local  
tree out of the way (putting copies of the necessary local style  
files into the directory of the file I was trying to typeset),  
and .... lo and behold, everything worked.  So then I tried  
rebuilding my local tree piece by piece, and everything continued to  
work until I got to the directory fonts/map.  Well, that ought to be  
empty, since I got rid of that stuff before ... but it wasn't, and  
restoring it to its original location in ~/Library/texmf caused the  
problem to re-appear.  So had I just forgotten to remove those maps  
after all? No, it turns out that the last time I re-i-installed tex  
from scratch, they were helpfully re-created for me:

Edgerton:~/Library/old.texmf/fonts sra$ ls -l map/*/*
total 472
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  sra      17 Jun  7 18:05 dvipdfm.map ->  
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra  115102 Jun  7 18:05 dvipdfm_dl14.map
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra  115683 Jun  7 18:05 dvipdfm_ndl14.map

total 1344
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra    8353 Jun  7 18:04 builtin35.map
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra   12250 Jun  7 18:04 download35.map
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra  287718 Jun  7 18:04 ps2pk.map
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  sra      14 Jun  7 18:05 psfonts.map ->  
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra   78825 Jun  7 18:04 psfonts_pk.map
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra  283827 Jun  7 18:04 psfonts_t1.map

total 1136
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root  sra      16 Jun  7 18:05 pdftex.map ->  
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra  287725 Jun  7 18:04 pdftex_dl14.map
-rw-r--r--   1 root  sra  286256 Jun  7 18:04 pdftex_ndl14.map

I do not know why this happened -- presumably it is connected with  
the fact that when I did this installation, I got a message at one  
point to the effect that i-installer had detected a private  
installation in my account, and that that might screw something up.   
The message didn't say what it had detected, though, and I couldn't  
find any other clues in the various outputs i-installer provides.   
And I also don't know what to look for to make sure it doesn't happen  
again, but for now, things work, as long as I leave the fonts in /usr/ 
local/teTeX/share/texmf.local instead of in my own texmf directory.   
It would be very nice if i-installer provided a clearer indication of  
just what it had found in such a case, but perhaps that would be too  
difficult to implement in a general way.

  I'm sorry to waste so many more electrons on this, because in the  
end, it seems that something I did (though I'm still not sure what)  
was the root of my problem.  Then again, everything did work fine  
until the latest update....

Anyway, I would once again like to express my gratitude to what has  
to be the most supportive community to be found on the net.

Steve Anderson

------------------------- Info --------------------------
Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
          & FAQ: http://latex.yauh.de/faq/
TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
List Archive: http://tug.org/pipermail/macostex-archives/

More information about the macostex-archives mailing list