[OS X TeX] Font issues [was: dvips problem]

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Wed Jun 7 20:53:02 CEST 2006

When I wrote to the list the other day, the problem that I had
discovered had to do with dvips finding a prolog file.  That problem
was resolved when Gerben suggested I try running dvips with -r0; when
that worked, I learned that dvips had changed so as not to accept
absolute pathnames any more.  I put my prolog where dvips expected to
find it, and changed the .sty file accordingly.  I had originally
encoded the absolute pathname as an act of desperation long ago, when
I could not figure out where dvips (of that vintage) was expecting to
find a prolog file. But now I'm OK on that account, at least until
the next (obscure or unannounced) change to dvips that alters where
it expects my prolog to live.

However, once I got past that problem, the real issue surfaced: my
installation of Adobe Garamond Pro, and one or two other fonts from
the Adobe Type Tools disc, no longer worked.  Without resuming the
past couple of days of messages, I will say that I have tried all of
the suggestions offered here by Bruno and Peter, and none of them
have gotten me an inch further.  Since I am the only user of my
machine, I eventually gave up on having these fonts installed in ~/
Library/texmf and put the files into /usr/local/tetex/share/
texmf.local, and then re-installed everything.  Result: no
improvement (despite the fact that the installation process appears
to activate the relevant maps).  Files invoking the fonts in question
still produce this kind of thing when run in TeXshop:

> [....]
> This is dvips(k) 5.95b Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2006.06.07:2025' -> /tmp/altpdflatex.7362-1149704715/
> Surmiran.ps
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1
> +437/600 --dpi 1037 padr8r--base
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
> kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font
> padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1
> +120/600 --dpi 720 padr8r--base
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font
> padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600
> --dpi 657 padr8r--base
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font
> padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600
> --dpi 657 padb8r--base
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padb8r--base.
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font
> padb8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 3+54/600
> --dpi 1854 padr8r--base
> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips: Font
> padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.

And so on.  All of the relevant files are there, and all of this has
worked flawlessly for me for the past two years or so.  But something
has changed somewhere in the TeX distribution, and it doesn't work
any more.

I don't have the option of switching to XeTeX, where font issues are
much less serious, because I need access to some tree-drawing macros
that produce raw PostScript.  I suppose I can just forget about the
fonts I installed.  Or else I can go back to the font tutorial and
start over again, jumping through all of the hoops I jumped through
once before to convert my fonts to something the TeX system will be
able to use, though with absolutely no guarantee that the results
will be consistent with whatever that system now expects.

For the present, I can't avoid the conclusion that whatever
mysterious changes were made in the recent distributions have done at
least this one user a rather serious disservice.

--
Steve Anderson