[OS X TeX] Re: Mathtime fonts from Bluesky in Texshop?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jun 7 12:23:37 CEST 2006

Le 6 juin 06 à 17:01, Ashim Datta a écrit :

> I had purchased Mathtime that worked with Textures in Power Mac
> G3.  Are those fonts useable in Intel Macs?  I get no error message
> when I use \usepackage{Mathtime}  in Texshop in Intel Mac even
> though I never installed that font and the printed math also looks
> like it is using the right font.  On closer look I feel it is not
> the same font.  Can I use the Mathtime that I bought from Bluesky
> in Texshop (on Intel Mac)?  When you have time, could you please
> help clarify on this last item in my migration process?

What you see is normal: all the support files for the MathTime Basic
fonts are included in gwTeX (.fd, .sty, .tfm, .vf, .map files),
together with public-domain clones of the fonts called belleek. It's
these clones that you are seeing, and as you observed they are not
quite the same.

What you need to do (see also the simpler alternative at the end of
the message):

- In Terminal:

	sudo -H updmap-sys --disable mt-belleek.map

- Convert your MathTime font files in the LWFN format to PFB format,
as explained in section 3 of <http://www.tug.org/mactex/fonts/
fonttutorial-current.html>. Specifically, I just re-tried the
conversion (in Terminal again) and it works (I copied the LWFN font
files into a folder Test on the Desktop):

	legimc11:~ brunovoisin$ cd /Users/brunovoisin/Desktop/Test/
	legimc11:~/Desktop/Test brunovoisin$ ls -l
	total 136
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff  0 May 17  1993 MTEX
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff  0 May 10  1993 MTSY
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff  0 May 10  1993 RMTMI
	legimc11:~/Desktop/Test brunovoisin$ t1unmac -r RMTMI/rsrc rmtmi.pfb
	legimc11:~/Desktop/Test brunovoisin$ t1unmac -r MTSY/rsrc mtsy.pfb
	legimc11:~/Desktop/Test brunovoisin$ t1unmac -r MTEX/rsrc mtex.pfb
	legimc11:~/Desktop/Test brunovoisin$ ls -l
	total 264
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff      0 May 17  1993 MTEX
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff      0 May 10  1993 MTSY
	-rwxr-xr-x   1 brunovoi  staff      0 May 10  1993 RMTMI
	-rw-r--r--   1 brunovoi  staff  20732 Jun  7 11:20 mtex.pfb
	-rw-r--r--   1 brunovoi  staff  19483 Jun  7 11:20 mtsy.pfb
	-rw-r--r--   1 brunovoi  staff  17805 Jun  7 11:20 rmtmi.pfb

You need the utility t1unmac, included in gwTeX already. The odd
syntax (-r option, suffix /rsrc to the font file name) allows t1unmac
to access the resource fork of the LWFN file. Be careful when using
uppercase and lowercase in file names, TeX and its friends on OS X
are case-sensitive, because of their Unix inheritance.

- Create a directory /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/type1/
yandy/mathtime/ and move the PFB files into it. What you can try, in
Terminal again:

	cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts
	sudo mkdir type1
	cd type1
	sudo mkdir yandy
	cd yandy
	sudo mkdir mathtime
	sudo mv ~/Desktop/Test/*.pfb mathtime/

There may be more efficient ways of doing this (less steps), but as
you can see I'm not a comand-line person.

- In Terminal:

	sudo texhash
	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mt-yy.map

- I was about to forget: the plain TeX support file mtmacs.tex isn't
included in gwTeX. In case you're using it, copy it from its original
TeX Input location in Textures to /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
tex/plain/mathtime/, running "sudo texhash" afterwards. I' m not
sure, but it's also possible that you need to get the file
texnansi.tex in addition, and add "\input texnansi" in your plain TeX
files using the MathTime fonts. texnansi.tex wasn't included in the
Blue Sky MathTime floppy, but it was on the Lucida floppies.

Given you're using the Blue Sky distribution of MathTime, I guess you
don't have the MathTime Plus addition (with bold maths etc.). If you
did, though, then you would need to repeat the conversion from LWFN
to PFB for this addition and then run:

	sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map mt-plus.map

All these map files (mt-belleek.map etc.) live in /usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf.tetex/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/.

Now, as announced earlier, an alternative: get the complete MathTime
font set from Personal TeX, which is now their distributor <http://
www.pctex.com/mtpro2.html>, given that Y&Y, their original
distributor (Blue Sky Research was only a reseller), has closed
<http://www.tug.org/yandy/>.

Similarly, in case you are using the Lucida fonts, you can either
perform the conversion from your original Blue Sky Research floppies,
or better get the complete fonts in the proper format from either TUG
<http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/> or Personal TeX <http://
www.pctex.com/Lucida_Fonts.html>. In this case you'll also get
updated LaTeX support files (replacing the lucidabr package).

In the long run, regarding the MathTime fonts, it's possible they are
simply superseded by the STIX fonts <http://www.stixfonts.org/>, when
these become finally available with full TeX support.

On other matters: *please* don't contact me personally except when
absolutely necessary, and refer to the OS X TeX list instead. I'm
really short of time, and more and more people seem to want to
contact me directly for TeX matters: I simply can't provide this
service, due to real-life job obligations (see the signature below).
Sorry. In addition, solutions useful for someone may also be useful
to others, and it's accordingly better to make them available through
the list.

Bruno Voisin

Bruno Voisin
Laboratory of Geophysical and Industrial Flows
LEGI, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
www.legi.hmg.inpg.fr/~voisin/english.html