[OS X TeX] Re: dvips problem [with addendum]

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Tue Jun 6 13:42:49 CEST 2006

Many thanks to Bruno, Peter, and Gerben for trying to fix my rather
strange problem (tex support files failing to see things in my ~/
Library/texmf tree).  But I'm afraid none of the suggestions offered
have straightened things out.

On 5 Jun, 2006, at 18:34:50 +0200, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 5 juin 06 à 17:09, Stephen Anderson a écrit :
>
>> It looks like my texmf directory is invisible to various tex-
>> related programs (although not to LaTeX itself: style files in my
>> local tree seem to be found when running latex on a file that
>> invokes them).
>>
>> I'm sure I did something stupid in updating my tex installation,
>> but I can't really see what....
>
> Looks like a permission problem. Did you try using Repair Permission
> in Disk Utility (booting from either your hard drive or the OS X
> install CD or DVD)?

Repair Permission ought not to have any effect on ~/Library/texmf,
right?  In any case, I ran it, it reported no changes, and doing this
had no effect on my problems.

> It may also result from the havoc in recent versions of TeXLive
> caused by the change from updmap to updmap-sys etc. Do you have
> generated files (ie that you didn't install yourself) in ~/Library/
> texmf (like texmf.cnf, updmap.cfg, etc.)?

Nope, none of those things.  All I have in ~/Library/texmf is my own
local style files, font files for Adobe Garamond Pro and Adobe
Warnock Pro, bibliography files, and the like.

> If that's the case, then
> you should delete all these generated files, then re-run the
> Configure stage of the TeX i-Package in Expert mode. It should fix
> things up for you.

I re-ran the configure stage.  The same problems remain.  I even re-
ran the entire install and configure process, again without positive
results.

Again, the problem is: LaTeX (ans BibTeX) appear to be able to find
the local .sty, .bst, and .bib files in my ~/Library/texmf tree.  The
auxiliary programs like dvips and mktexpk, on the other hand, do not
seem to see anything that's there (even when they have an explicit
full filename, as in the case of my tree-dvips.pro file which is
reference in the style file with a full name).

It may be relevant that when I run the i-installer configuration, the
maps for my local fonts (lcdftools.map and Adobe.map) that are in my
tree show up without checks.  That suggests to me that they aren't
active, but that the i-installer can see them.  The second time I ran
i-installer configure, they still showed up unchecked; again I
checked them for activation, but with no result.
--------
On 5 Jun, 2006, at 18:57:43 +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> Am 05.06.2006 um 17:09 schrieb Stephen Anderson:
>>

>>> I'm sure I did something stupid in updating my tex installation,
>>> but I can't really see what....
>>>

>> Or you missed an item: CLI. You can run i-Installer again and choose
>> Configure Only to check CLI (Command Line Interface) activation. This
>> will change two files in (/private)/etc, and when you log off and log
>> in again, the problem should be solved ...

I have always checked this item -- I did it both times I ran the
configuration as described above, and logged out and back in again,
but still no change.

>> The paths you mentioned are OK. Maybe you should run for your own
>> fonts and their MAP file fragments 'updmap --syncwithtrees' ... If i-
>> Installer launches updmap-sys with 'sudo -H' or 'sudo -H root' it
>> won't see your private gems, so you have to disclose them. If after
>> both steps (i-Installer and updmap) you are still missing fonts, you
>> should see whether you need to enable some of your private MAP file
>> fragments in updmap, 'updmap --listavailablemaps' should list all it
>> knows.
Interesting. The output of that is:

updmap --listavailablemaps
updmap: This is updmap, version 1122009795
updmap: using transcript file `/Users/sra/Library/texmf/web2c/
updmap.log'
Map antp.map
Map qbk.map
[...]
MixedMap eurosym.map
Map relsymb.map
Map utopia.map
Map lm.map
#! Map lcdftools.map
#! Map Adobe.map
#! Map tipa.map
Map fourier.map
MixedMap cm-super-t1.map
MixedMap cm-super-ts1.map
MixedMap cm-super-t2a.map
MixedMap cm-super-t2b.map
MixedMap cm-super-t2c.map
MixedMap cm-super-x2.map
Map xeus.map
MixedMap yfrak.map
MixedMap tipa.map
Map dictsym.map
[...]

My own local maps are lcdftools.map and Adobe.map above -- why are
these preceded by #! in the output? And another question: why two
instances of tipa.map (one with #! and one without? In the process of
running i-installer's configuration, tipa.map appears twice in the
dialog about enabling maps: why? I do have another copy of the tipa
files, but it's in my Documents directory, nowhere near ~/Library/
texmf (or the root of the tetex tree).
-----

On 5 Jun, 2006, at 22:59:09 +0200, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> Maybe the stricter safety settings of dvips in newer distributions?
> You
> can try to add -R0 to the dvips command to see if it works.

That has the effect of allowing dvips to find its file.  However,
mktexpk still can't find any of the stuff relevant to my Adobe
Garamond Pro font, as illustrated in the output below:

Edgerton:~/Documents/Books/Surmiran sra$ dvips Surmiran -o Surmiran.ps
This is dvips(k) 5.95b Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.06.06:1333' -> Surmiran.ps
dvips: ! Couldn't find header file /Users/sra/Library/texmf/tex/latex/
local/tree-dvips.pro
Edgerton:~/Documents/Books/Surmiran sra$ dvips -R0 Surmiran -o
Surmiran.ps
This is dvips(k) 5.95b Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2006.06.06:1333' -> Surmiran.ps
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+437/600
--dpi 1037 padr8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+120/600
--dpi 720 padr8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
dvips: Font padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --
dpi 657 padr8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padr8r--base.
dvips: Font padr8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --
dpi 657 padb8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padb8r--base.
dvips: Font padb8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 2+590/600
--dpi 1790 padd8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padd8r--base.
dvips: Font padd8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --
dpi 657 padrc8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padrc8r--base.
dvips: Font padrc8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 2+44/600 --
dpi 1244 padb8r--base
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for padb8r--base.
dvips: Font padb8r--base not found, characters will be left blank.
<texc.pro></Users/sra/Library/texmf/tex/latex/local/tree-dvips.pro>
<lm-ec.enc><texps.pro><special.pro><color.pro>. <lmss17.pfb>[1] [2]
[1] [2]
[3] [4] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14]
[15]
[16]

So I'm still mystified as to how to fix this stuff (all of which
worked just fine up until a couple of weeks  ago, when I updated my
installation prior to leaving on sabbatical).

--
Steve Anderson