[OS X TeX] Placing eps figures

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Sun Jun 4 19:26:53 CEST 2006

On Jun 4, 2006, at 9:07 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2006, at 11:21 AM, Jens Noeckel wrote:
>

>>> I do not know how you work the magic, for me it is amazing. I
>>> take the pdf page I want (I use Adobe Acrobat to extract it),
>>> drop it into your magic "TeX Font Outliner.app", and I now get
>>> a .ps page in Illustrator that I save as an eps file, and I am
>>> done -- this is what I had in Textures.
>>>
>>> Earlier solutions suggested (the -nofont utility) always messed
>>> up the included diagrams.
>>>

>> George and Gary,
>>
>> if there's something that you improved on the original algorithm I
>> suggested, using the gv -dNOCACHE option (what I called
>> fontbegone, and Gary called -nofont), it would be nice if you
>> could let me know. I'm referring to this message:
>> http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/macostex-archives/2005-December/
>> 019411.html
>>
>> The reason is that this method is now also used in LaTeXiT. There,
>> all you have to do is type your LaTeX formula, right-click on the
>> output display to open a contextual menu, and then choose "copy as
>> outlined PDF". Then you have the outlined LaTeX PDF output on your
>> clipboard, ready to be copied to whatever destination you fancy
>> (Including Illustrator). There's also a keyboard shortcut for this
>> (press Apple-Option-Shift-C after the LaTeX run), which makes this
>> solution the most convenient LaTeX-to-Anywhere tool that I'm aware
>> of.
>>
>> Obviously, any improvement in the method would benefit LaTeXiT,
>> too. Unlike George (apparently), I have never experienced any
>> problems whatsoever with my original fontbegone application, even
>> though I use it at least three times a week on multi-page PDF
>> documents with lots of graphics.
>>
>> Jens
>
> Dear Jens,
>
> We use exactly the command you describe in the above message. In
> fact, it was your message that got me all excited and prompted me
> to write the AppleScript I mentioned yesterday. All we do is wrap
> an AppleScript around it that also opens the file in AI when it is
> done.
>
> As for using LaTeXiT, when we create figure labels for a figure, we
> like to keep the LaTeX source used to create the labels with that
> figure in case we need to tweak them in the future so that is why
> we create a .tex file instead of using LaTeXiT.
>
> Does this make sense?

Dear Gary,

OK - that makes sense. Too bad Illustrator doesn't support LinkBack
(because LaTeXiT does). That way, you wouldn't have to worry about
the ps output or source of your LaTeX being stored separately. But
LaTeXiT does have a library where you can save figure labels that are
too complex to re-type often.

Another way of dealing with Illustrator is as follows (we obviously
all have our own idiosyncratic tricks): when inserting a LaTeX PDF
formula into Illustrator as outlines, save the LaTeX source as
regular text in a separate layer called LaTeX-source (e.g.), and keep
that layer hidden when saving the graphic as PDF. That way, all
source information is kept in the same file as the outlined formulas
that the reader actually sees, and you can reproduce the whole LaTeX
compilation if needed, by copying the source from the Illustrator
file back to LaTeXiT (or TeXShop, of course).

Regards,
Jens