[OS X TeX] Placing eps figures

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jun 2 19:31:37 CEST 2006

Le 2 juin 06 à 14:43, Ashim Datta a écrit :

> I would really appreciate some help.  I have a lot of eps figures
> that in the past I used Textures and \epsfbox in the package
> epsf.def to place.  I am considering migrating to Texshop since
> Textures is not available for my Intel mac.  I do not want to
> convert figures to pdf and would like to continue to use the
> epsf.def package.
>
> Any thoughts?

epsf.def was simply an adaptation to Textures of epsf.tex, written
for dvips which is the standard DVI driver on Linux, among other
platforms. epsf.tex is there on Mac OS X, and works without requiring
any preliminary adaptation.

Simply install TeXShop (which is a front-end) and gwTeX (Gerben
Wierda's distribution of TeX, dvips and friends for Mac OS X). You'll
see afterwards that epsf.tex is indeed there, at /Library/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/tex/generic/epsf/epsf.tex. Simply replace

	\input epsf.def

by

	\input epsf

and then make sure you typeset your documents in TeXShop's "TeX and
Ghostscript" mode (actually TeX -> dvips -> GhostScript). This mode
is selected either on a per-document basis in TeXShop's Typeset menu,
or generally in TeXShop's Typeset prefs.

Otherwise you should feel fairly at ease in TeXShop, whose user
interface is similar to Textures. One thing you might miss is
Textures' ability to use Mac OS fonts natively. If that is indeed the
case, then XeTeX <http://scripts.sil.org/xetex> is for you (but it
can't deal with EPS figures).

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin (user of Textures from 1991 to 2000)------------------------- Info --------------------------