[OS X TeX] Output to RTF?

Mark Eli Kalderon m.kalderon at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Jul 28 23:59:55 CEST 2006

You mention two problems, one with collaboration, and the other with
being able to produce rtf along with your LaTeX document.

With respect to the second problem, converters like latex2rtf might
work for you. However, another solution might be to write in a markup
that can be transformed into both rtf and LaTeX.

Three possibilities, none of them perfect:

* DocBook[1]
* DocUtils[2]
* MultiMarkdown[3]

These are, roughly, in descending order of feature support and
ascending order of ease of use. I don't know for sure if there is a
DocBook to Word or rtf writer, but I would be surprised if there
weren't. DocUtils doesn't directly support rtf, but the methods for
transforming MultiMarkdown to rtf could be adapted.[4]

Personally, writing in the Humanities, I have had a positive
experience writing with MultiMarkdown. Writing in a single markup, I
can generate LaTeX documents, pdfs, rtfs, and html documents---which
pretty much covers my needs. If I need to do something more
complicated I can finish off the document in LaTeX, say. Mileage will
vary depending on your specific needs with respect to feature support.

[1] http://www.docbook.org/
[2] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/index.html
[3] http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/MultiMarkdown
[4] http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/Markdown_and_RTF