[OS X TeX] Named theorem

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 06:17:47 CEST 2006

Victor Ivrii wrote:

> On 7/27/06, Themis Matsoukas <matsoukas at psu.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:53 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>
>> > From page 139, Companion 2ed,
>> >
>> > \usepackage{amsthm}
>> > \theoremstyle{definition}
>> > \newtheorem{thm}{Theorem}
>> >
>> > \begin{thm}
>> > a theorem
>> > \end{thm}
>> >
>> > \begin{thm}[Schremmer]
>> > This is it theorem
>> > \end{thm}
>> >
>> > \begin{thm}
>> > another theorem
>> > \end{thm}
>> >
>> > should do it but when I try, (Schremmer) is not boldfaced like
>> > Theorem 2 as it is in the Companion.
>>
>> 1. Remove \usepackage{amsthm} and \theoremstyle{definition}, and
>> you'll get what you want. This will cause the theorem to be
>> italicized but you can correct this by starting it with \em.
>

> Nothing is wrong with amtthm; however it knows three theorestyles:
>
> {plain} boldface header, slanted body
>
> {definition} boldface header, roman body
>
> {remark} slanted header, roman body
>
> If it is not enough replace amsthm by ntheorem
>

>> or
>>
>> 2. keep your packages but say \begin{thm}[\textbf{Schremmer}] to get
>> Schremmer in boldface.
>

> This would put . (dot) after theorem' number which is not wanted.

With all due respect, this was not my question which was: Why doesn't
the solution provided in Companion work?

I went to texhax and from FAQ downloaded amslatex > math > testmath.tex
and testmath.pdf. Now, testmath.pdf shows a named theorem on page 6 in
which the name is boldfaced and testmath.tex indeed has the syntax in
Companion but when I typeset testmath.tex, the name is not boldfaced.

I assume therefore that the problem is either, somehow, with my
installation—TeXShop 1.43 on 10-3-9 or, more likely another mistake of
mine. So, the first thing I would like to know is if anyone gets the
above named theorems as per the book but with the name unboldfaced.

Regards
--schremmer