[OS X TeX] multiple indexes

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Thu Jul 27 06:34:15 CEST 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 6:19 AM, Jason Davies wrote:

> In the past I used multind (with some work by the press to make it
> work that I didn't quite follow!) to create multiple indices. Now I
> need to do it again but don't have the press to help just yet...
>
> The LaTeX companion says the David Jones' index package will do
> this but there seem to be different versions around.
>
> As usual for me, despite copying and pasting the sample files, I am
> getting errors as soon as I vary the sample file contents:-)
>
> what are other people using for multiple indices? is index.sty
> (still) the right package to use?

For me, yes.

Suppose you want a River index and a Lake index; then in your
preamble you could use

\usepackage{makeidx}
\usepackage{index}
\newindex{riv}{ridx}{rind}{River index}
\newcommand{\indexr}[1]{\index[riv]{#1}}
\newindex{lak}{lidx}{lind}{Lake index}
\newcommand{\indexl}[1]{\index[lak]{#1}}
\makeindex

Then, in your text use \indexr{thisRiver} and \indexl{thatLake}

When you want to typeset your indeces, cd to your TeX file directory
in Terminal and type the following commands:

makeindex -o your_Book.rind your_Book.ridx

makeindex -o your_Book.lind your_Book.lidx

BACK UP your data before this ---a wrong command here can make your
file disappear.

4) Finally, where you want your indices to appear (usually at the end
of your document, of course):

\printindex[riv]

\cleardoublepage

\printindex[lak]