OT: Illustrator capabilities (was Re: [OS X TeX] OT: log from Acrobat 7.0)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Jul 25 17:45:46 CEST 2006

On Jul 25, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Since we are already definitely OT, I feel safe (?) to ask for a
> couple of examples of what Illustrator can do that other drawing
> programs cannot—and that non-professional illustrators might want
> to use? (When I went from Canvas to Intaglio, it was such a relief … )

Very good OpenType support --- in some instances better than InDesign
(did a cover design using Waters Titling and then discovered I had to
write up extensive instructions on how to get the same text effects
in ID using the glyph palette manually as AI got w/ a button click).

Native-pdf transparency features

Support for the nifty Warmreader marked object plug-in (though Altsys
Virtuoso in NeXTstep supports the TeX eq -> eps Service for similar
functionality or one can use psfrag &c. on other platforms if using
dvips)

I think that's pretty much it. Certainly Creaturehouse Expression did
brushes better, and FreeHand has basic bezier drawing handled more
efficiently.

More glaring are things one has to get plug-ins for which other
programs ``just do'', such as a sensible pattern to how aligning
objects work, multi-page support or dimensioning tools.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.