[OS X TeX] 10.4.7, dvipdf, Preview, and mangled math

overdog.ldn at gmail.com overdog.ldn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 07:42:42 CEST 2006

Hello,

I have searched online for this problem but find no reference to it.
I am sorry for the long message, but I am hoping to get some useful
advice.

My TeX installation is teTeX via fink, which must have been updated
last around the time of the original 10.4 release, probably compiled
from source. I recently upgraded to 10.4.7, but have no idea whether
that's to blame for a problem I recently started experiencing,
although, as far as I know it always worked OK under 10.4.6 and never
under 10.4.7.

The particular problem is that many of my math expressions appear
mangled in Preview, with several glyphs missing, or replaced by
square boxes with either various shades or weird phonetic characters
in them. I'm not doing very much special beyond straightahead math
typesetting. The problem seems to be largely confined to non-numeric
super-/subscripts. I don't see this problem in Acrobat reader, but my
document is quite long (>100 pages) and I can't currently say whether
other weirdness is resulting.

I build pdfs from a dvi output by LaTeX using dvi2pdf. I have also
tried generating postscript from the dvi using dvips, and using
Apple's pstopdf, but the problem I describe below persists. As far as
I know, I am only using built-in default LaTeX fonts. I haven't tried
anything fancy like using Mac fonts or anything like that.

I suppose it is possible that Preview has broken, but other documents
compiled before this started happening still display fine. So my
guess is that its something to do with the PDF generation. Also I
think things look okay in xdvi when I look at the dvi file.

I don't understand what has broken, and am reluctant to presently
attempt a major overhaul of my LaTeX environment since I need this
document to print faithfully within the next day or two. Fortunately
my printshop uses Acrobat reader under XP, so the problem is one of
just being sure that nothing is seriously broken when I ask for many
copies of my document to be made.

Is there anything straightforward I can do to repair whatever is
broken? I probably need step-by-step instructions if it involves
uncommon operations. Can I rely on these PDFs in the sense of Acrobat
Reader printing them "accurately?"

Thanks for any assistance.