[OS X TeX] Xindy?

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Jul 17 21:49:06 CEST 2006

>> And looks very similar to what I built a couple of weeks back,
>> though I didn't have this exact source archive as my starting
>> point. (See http://www.jfkew.plus.com/xindy-macosx.html for the
>> ready-to-use package, as well as notes on what I used.)
>>
>> I don't have time to spend on this, really, but a couple of notes:
>>
>> (1) I suspect it's a good idea to purge any hint of Fink's /sw
>> tree from your paths, as the build is known to work on a Fink-free
>> system but seems liable to have problems when other versions of
>> stuff -- could be headers & libraries, autotools stuff, other
>> utilities.... who knows! -- get mixed in. Different versions of
>> autotools support files, for example, could easily affect things.
>
> I removed fink and it still doesn't compile ...

Ok, I gave up on compiling xindy myself and started playing around
with Jonathans's build. It seems to work, but now the real trouble
begins.

My problems (I realize that these are not OSX specific ...):

I use jurabib's authorformat=indexed function which automatically
creates index entries for all quoted authors. Typically, jurabib will
produce something like this:

\indexentry{Sobchack, Vivian~Carol=Sobchack, Vivian~Carol|hyperpage}
{199}

Problem 1: For some reason, jurabib doesn't use @ for "actual" but =.
With makeindex this can easily be fixed with a style file. After lots
of googling and consulting the LaTeX companion I'm still not sure
whether this can be achieved with xindy.

Problem 2 (and the reason I tried xindy): I have this bibtex entry

@incollection{sklovskij.v:1969a,
	Address = {M{\"u}nchen},
	Author = {{\v S}klovskij, Viktor},
	Booktitle = {Texte der Russsischen Formalisten},
	Editor = {Jurij Striedter},
	Year = {1969}}

When I quote this, jurabib creates this index entry:

\indexentry{{\v S}klovskij, Viktor={\v S}klovskij, Viktor|hyperpage}
{195}

This entry, isn't sorted under s by makeindex, but right at the
beginning, even before numerals. I thought that xindy could handle
this. But so far, I've been unable to achieve any better results.

texindy -L german-duden testindex.idx and texindy -L german-din
testindex.idx behave exactly like makeindex, putting the entry at the
beginning.

If I change the idx file and write the Š instead of {\v S} and save
the whole as UTF-8, the entry simply disappears from the .ind file.

Any ideas?

simon

--
Dr. des. Simon Spiegel
EDV-Koordinator

Seminar für Filmwissenschaft
Plattenstrasse 54
CH-8032 Zürich
+41 44 634 35 37
www.film.unizh.ch

Büro: Wilfriedstrasse 6, Raum 006, +41 44 634 35 06