[OS X TeX] RTF2LaTeX2e (was: new fat i-Packages)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 15 17:41:25 CEST 2006

On Jul 15, 2006, at 10:06 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2006, at 9:41 AM, André Bellaïche wrote:
>
>> It seems that with a Power-PC and a 10.4.7 system, rtf2latex2e
>> doesn't work: that is, when you drop your file on the
>> rtf2latex2e.bin icon in usr/local/rtf2latex2e, the system thinks
>> that rtf2latex2e.bin is a directory and tells you you are not
>> allowed to modify the element rtf2latex2e.bin
>>
>> I can see no means to make rtf2latex2e.bin to work under classic;
>>
>> Fortunately, I have a laptop wich can start under MacOS9.
>>
>> André Bellaïche
>
> Howdy,
>
> I think you are trying to use it incorrectly. What you are trying
> to do is for old Mac OS 9 and before. This is a UNIX install so you
> would use the Terminal (i.e., Command Line Interface) and type
>
> rtf2latex2e myfile.rtf
>
> after changing (cd) into the directory where myfile.rtf resides.
> This will produce a .tex file. I had to add a few packages to get
> things to compile properly but that might depend upon what the file
> contains; mine contained \textbackslash so I used the lmodern and
> textcomp packages.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Howdy,

Just discovered a couple of nice things:

1)you don't need to cd into the directory where the file resides;
just give the full path name for the file.

2)if you quote the file name you can even have spaces in the name and
the resulting .tex file will have hyphens replacing the spaces:

rtf2latex2e "/path/to/my long name with spaces.rtf"

will produce the file

/path/to/my-long-name-with-spaces.tex

so it all works fairly nicely.

Note that the author of the package specifically says that it isn't a
perfect translation.

Also, what I needed to get the \textbackslash, etc., was

\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

or

\usepackage{fourier}

(which internally adds the other necessary packages) not simply
adding the lmodern and textcomp packages.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)