[OS X TeX] New alpha Textures with support for graphics

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Jul 13 16:57:36 CEST 2006

Le 13 juil. 06 à 16:30, Kevin Walzer a écrit :

> Just curious--what does Textures offer that TexShop et. al does not? I
> tried to download a version to try, but apparently you already need to
> be a registered customer. (This company charges $30 just to demo
> one of
> its other products...)

Examples of things Textures did very well in 2001, and Texshop does
not do correctly, even in 2006.

Ex. 1. Search and replace in a 300 pages document. Textures does it
in a fraction of second, whereas Texshop gets lost. Maybe only when
the word to search contains an antislash symbol, but I am not sure.
Anyway, words with antislash are quite common in TeX. So when we have
such an operation to execite in Texshp, we prefer to open the file in
MacOS9 system for a while.

Ex. 2. Using any font in the disk, just by typing "\font\myfont =
whatever…you…want at 12pt". You need not know the diffrence
between .pfa and .pfb. You don't even need to know that .pfb exists.
Of course XeTeX does that, but, as a price, you get some problems
with cmr fonts.

Ex. 3. When TeX halts because of an error, Textures is not so stupid
to stop in the middle of a word in the .aux file, a feature of
Texshop that is bound to yields error when you restart typesetting.
Of course the authors of Texshop know that, this why you have a
button named "Trash Aux Files".

Ex. 4. You don't have to register a file before typesetting it. You
don't have either to add a .tex suffix at the end of its name (but
maybe in the new version, Textures will have to comply with the new
Unix/Windows features of MacOS X).

i'll send you more examples when I think about them. This occurs
quite frequently, since I work all the day on Texshop after having
been very happy with Textures for years.

André Bellaïche
Université Paris 7