[OS X TeX] Footnote

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jul 8 13:18:24 CEST 2006

Am 08.07.2006 um 02:03 schrieb manan ahmed:

> Quick question: How do I keep a footnote from running over to the

Either delete or move some text from before the footnote mark after
it, that the page gets enough space for the footnote text, or do the
contrary, put so much text from after the footnote mark before it,
that both, the mark and the text migrate to the next page. Changing
TeX parameters temporarily might work for this hour's version. A few
corrections in the text, and you're back at your problem. The problem
is that TeX tries to keep the footnote mark and at least a part of
the footnote on the same page -- a sensible decision.

You could load a micro typography package (for example \usepackage
[activate={true,nocompatibility}]{microtype}). This makes text in
Latin script protrude into both side margins (margin kerning), or, as
the example activates, creates from the *Type 1 PostScript* (and only
these) text font(s) derived versions in which the glyphs are in
discrete steps either expanded or compressed that words fit better
onto the line. And the line breaks are changed, that page breaks can
change, too, so that more text fits onto the page. And it can look
even a lot better! To read the documentation: texdoc microtype. A
test file: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/microtype/
test-microtype.tex.

--
Greetings

   Pete

A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like
to do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care
to live.
                                    -- Bradford Angier