[OS X TeX] Alternative Method of Labeling Figures with Illustrator

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Jul 2 07:36:27 CEST 2006

Hi Gary, Bruno, and others.

On 02/07/2006, at 2:51 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Jul 1, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> I experienced similar problems with Plot3D graphics created in
>> Mathematica using PlotPoints -> {601, 601}. The graphics saved to
>> EPS from within Mathematica were about 25 MB each, becoming 50 MB
>> after addition of axis labels in Illustrator then saving as EPS.
>> Attempting to move a label in Illustrator (with the mouse) caused
>> Illustrator to become unresponsive for more than 30 s, and then it
>> took it several minutes to redraw the graphics; it's only then
>> that you could figure out where your mouse gesture had finally
>> positioned the label. Useless!
>
> Hi Bruno.
>
> When I have to edit Mathematica figures like this, I use Outline
> rather than Preview mode (under the View menu). It makes a big
> difference.

Also, you can   Place...  (File menu) a linked file,
which requires no editing.

This avoids the file-size bloating that otherwise occurs
when Illustrator tries to make an editable Object out
of every graphic element in the Mathematica-generated
file  (e.g. each of ~1 million separate points or
thousands of line segments or polygons).

Of course this may not let you see what is *in* the linked
image, so placing labels over it may not be so easy.
But you do get the immediate response, desired when adding
and moving new graphic elements.

> -- Gary

Hope this helps,

	Ross