[OS X TeX] Bibtex hangs, taxes processor

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Sun Jan 29 17:20:58 CET 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Frederick Hoyt wrote:

> I am having a strange problem with bibtex. When I run bibtex (both
> through texshop and on the command line), it hangs and any audio I
> might be running starts to cut out for 1-2 second intervals, which I
> take to mean that the processor is getting taxed. In Texshop this is
> accompanied by the spinning beach ball.
>
> This came out of nowhere as I was working on a document, so all I can
> think is that something got corrupted somewhere. I tried installing
> the update to 10.4.4 as well as re-installing tex through i-Installer,
> but to no avail.
>
> Does anyone have any experience or suggestions regarding this?

Does it also do this at the end of typesetting as it is about to
display the preview? If so, this might be related to the spinning
beachball problem Dick mentions at:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/changes_minor.html

 From that page:

Some users still report a spinning beachball, so we revert back to
the default value of "1" for the hidden ReleaseDocumentClasses
preference. Users who installed 2.05 or 2.06 during the 12 hours it
was on the network need to type the following command in Terminal:

defaults write TeXShop ReleaseDocumentClasses 1

I hope this helps.

-- Gary