[OS X TeX] Distiller

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Sat Jan 28 15:45:24 CET 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 7:20 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 28.01.2006 um 08:51 schrieb Alain Matthes:
>
>> a) I would like to know the differences between Apple distiller and
>> ghostscript distiller and
>> why use ghostscript distiller  instead of Apple distiller ?
>
> Ghostscript can convert some PS files which Apple's pstopdf cannot.
> With Ghostscript you can choose to create PDF-1.2, PDF-1.3, or PDF-1.4
> output, while pstopdf produces the system's PDF version.

At least for me (10.3.9), Apple's distiller is outrageously slow. I
think I determined at one point that it was loading fonts or something,
but never pursued it further, although when Mail.app locked up on me
the other day trying to automatically display a .ps attachment, I was
somewhat reincentivized (ain't English grand?) to figure out if there
were a way to improve things.