[OS X TeX] Necessary i-Packages for gwTeX Install

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 20 22:31:24 CET 2006

On Jan 20, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Bastian Philipps wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> as I had to format my system, I am now about to install gwTeX again.
> While contemplating Gerben's reports on the problems in
> ImageMagick, I came to think that do not really need ImageMagick as
> I do my image manipulation in Photoshop. Or are there any hidden
> features necessary for TeX in ImageMagick I missed?
>
> So starting from the TeXShop advised list of packages and taking
> into account that I want to use Latin Modern as well as those new
> Mac fonts, I assume that those are the packages I would need:
>     * FreeType 2
>     * Ghostscript 8
>     * FontForge
>     * Fondu Mac Font Tools
>     * TeX
>     * CM-Super
>
> Am I right?
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Greetings
> Bastian

Howdy,

If you use FontForge, etc., within X-11 make sure that X-11 is
installed BEFORE you do these installs.

If you ever use the epstopdf package (for using eps figures with
pdflatex) or other converters I'd suggest the ImageMagick package
too. The only ``problem'' left with it the inability to convert wmv
files; how many of those do you use? I've also put together a tiny
tiftopng package to convert tif files to png which are readable by
pdflatex too.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)