[OS X TeX] Fatal format file error: ...xelatex.fmt doesn't match xetex.pool

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 18 21:35:42 CET 2006

On 18 Jan 2006, at 8:06 pm, Georg Verweyen wrote:

> I've got TeXShop (2.08), a teTeX-installation plus the XeTeX
> package by
> iInstaller on my Mac (OS 10.4.4).
>
> When running XeTeX on XeTeX-notes.tex I get the following fatal error:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.95 (Web2C 7.5.3)

This shows that you're running an old-ish version of xetex....

> ---! /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/xelatex.fmt doesn't
> match
> xetex.pool

....and the format files you have don't match the program version.

> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> Any clues?

I wonder if perhaps you have two copies of xetex around, of different
versions.

Have you tried updating to the latest XeTeX release (currently
0.99b)? If the installation procedure completes normally, it should
recreate the format files and then you'll have matching software and
format file versions -- unless, perhaps, you have an older executable
in another directory, so the update doesn't touch it.

JK