[OS X TeX] Encoding

Arno Kruse arnokruse at macnews.de
Sat Jan 14 12:51:38 CET 2006

Am 14.01.2006 um 12:29 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 14.01.2006 um 11:42 schrieb Arno Kruse:
>
>> My first cautious attempts to do the same with my .tex stuff ended
>> in disaster: files with delightful, but senseless glyphs.
>> Obviously I made mistakes.
>
> What were your mistakes?

Maybe the idea to try something new. Result: A lot of senseless glyphs.

> Not knowing iconv or recode?

Yes.

> Not knowing how to do it properly in GNU Emacs?

Yes. I am still seeking .emacs…

> And now having wasted all your original encoded files ...

Yes, all files I have worked with. It´s a desaster.

>> My question: Does anyone know an intelligible to all (so even to
>> me) tutorial how to convert and use .tex files within utf8 encoding?
>
> If Google can't give any help

I am quite silly, but the idea to try Google even came to me. There I
got about one million of potential answers, but at the moment my time
is limited.

> then you would need to write that manual yourself and send it to
> Joe Slater
> for http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/.

I am not able to write such a manual. Well, so I shall go on working
with latin1. Although it is not satisfying to use utf8 with BBEdit
and latin1 with TeXShop. And not promising at all.

> What are the other sites in the OS X TeX list eMails' footers
> providing? No details, which put together pave the path to success?

I do not understand this remark.

Arno