OT: application crashes (was Re: [OS X TeX] speed of typesetting on a MacBook?)

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Jan 12 16:52:54 CET 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I assume it isn't the OS that is crashing, only those applications.
> I found 10.4.3 and now 10.4.4 quite stable. Earlier versions seemed
> to have major problems with launchd, mdimport or other low level
> processes which tended to lock up the system occasionally so other
> applications couldn't run; I waited 60s for loginwindow to run to
> shut off my system at times.

For the morbidly curious, the count now stands at:

2 - Quark XPress
2 - Adobe InDesign
1 - Microsoft Word
1 - Extensis Suitcase
1 - Adobe Acrobat (or Extensis Pitstop)

Still at 0 are Mac OS X itself and Macromedia FreeHand and Adobe
PhotoShop and Illustrator.

I did colour code the chart though so that I can enumerate crashes
into the thousands per app --- earlier last week I was crashing Quark
4--9 times / day (on an older machine running Jaguar which was kind
of stressed by the work and had an old, cluttered install), hence the
log.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.