[OS X TeX] TeXShop 2.07

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 10 21:11:37 CET 2006

On 10 Jan 2006, at 3:14, Richard Koch wrote:

> 	2) Peter Dyballa convinced me to call the ghostscript command ps2pdf
> 	rather than the teTeX script epstopdf when opening an eps file
> 	and converting it to pdf. (If the user selected Apple's distiller
> in the
> 	TeXShop distiller preference, then as before /usr/bin/pstopdf is
> used.)
> 	This fixes a problem much discussed in the last few days converting
> 	a particular eps file to pdf.

Please revert back to epstopdf. ps2pdf completely ignores the
bounding box, which is far more irritating than not being able to
convert some particular eps file. These files can either be converted
by hand, or with a shell script:

 From a later mail by Peter:

> # The only thing I have not allowed for is the case of
> # "%%BoundingBox: (atend)", which is more complicated.
>
> When the EPS file has in its header
>
> 	%%BoundingBox: (atend)
>
> which is accompanied by a
>
> 	%%BoundingBox: 17 49 541 702
>
> in the footer.

If that is the problem, the following script should fix the broken
eps file (please try it on a copy first). It should do no harm on
other eps files.

#!/bin/bash
# usage: atend-fixer infile outfile
epsfile="$1"
tmpepsfile="$2"

# obtain the good bounding box line
bboxline=`grep '^%%BoundingBox' "$epsfile" | grep -v '(attend)'`

# replace the broken line with the good bounding box line.
sed "s/^%%BoundingBox: (atend)/$bboxline/" < "$epsfile" > "$tmpepsfile"

# end of script.

Maarten