[OS X TeX] white or blank pdf

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 7 15:27:29 CET 2006

Am 07.01.2006 um 14:42 schrieb Themis Matsoukas:

> I recently had a similar but not unrecoverable problem: someone
> sent me an eps which when dropped onto texshop produced a blank
> page and the console reported "AFPL Ghostscript 8.51: Unrecoverable
> error, exit code 1 Broken pipe".
>
> Nevertheless, preview.app (as well illustrator cs2 and Peter's
> convert command) opened the file without complaints and produced a
> correct (as far as I can tell) pdf output. In other words, texshop
> was the only application that failed to open this eps file.

It isn't directly TeXShop, this uses an external application, that
"AFPL Ghostscript 8.51" from above. This one failed. In TeXShop's
preferences, before version 2, which I am still not using yet, you
had the choice between different PS -> PDF convertors. If Ghostscript
fails, Apple's pstopdf might work. To have a multiple choice we'd
need to write a little shell script that uses /System/Library/
Printers/Libraries/convert for a third try. Other conversions from
graphics formats are possible too, for example HTML -> PDF: printer
ready in Unicode! But nothing is documented, and it could be that
this convert is just a wrapper which delegates the things to the
proper programmes, like sips for example. (Which does not handle PS
or EPS, only: jpeg | tiff | png | gif | jp2 | pict | bmp | qtif | psd
| sgi | tga; and has a very nasty interface.)

> I have the file, if anyone wants to dissect it.

Yes, I would like to see it! Maybe there is a real in Ghostscript.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no place like ~