[OS X TeX] white or blank pdf

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jan 6 23:35:16 CET 2006

Am 06.01.2006 um 22:32 schrieb andi petculescu:

> If I export a graph from QtiPlot as EPS and then open it with
> TeXShop to get the PDF, the latter is a blank (white?) page (no
> error messages).
> If, instead of *exporting* the figure as EPS, I *print* it as PDF
> from QtiPlot, it comes out ok.
>
> What could cause an EPS figure to be converted to a blank (or
> white ?) PDF, when opened with TeXShop? Does it have to do with the
> application that creates the EPS?

I suppose there must not be a bug in QtiPlot, because the printing
system has another programme to convert PS or EPS to PDF ... The
reasons why TeXShop can fail are a few.

Have you /Applications/Utilities/Console.app running? If TeXShop sees
an error it will report it in Console.

Are you experienced with the command line in Terminal? Then you could
try to use the supposed printing system's convertor, it's like:

	/System/Library/Printers/Libraries/convert -i application/postscript
-j application/pdf -f "best complete path to EPS input file within
double quotes" -o "best complete path to PDF output file within
double quotes" -P <path to PPD file optionally>

The sequence that starts with '-P ...' is optional. I am not
completely sure whether the path to the 'PostScript Printer
Description' (PPD) file is necessary in any case. You can make your
life easy when you just type the command until the first double quote
and then drag&drop the file from Finder onto Terminal. Check whether
spaces in this path name where 'escaped' by \ and remove these
backslashes. Finish the input file name by typing a double quote
exactly at file name's end (by dropping the file on Terminal
automatically a SPC is added) and continue with ' -o "' and drop
again that file onto Terminal and filter its name from backslashes.
Now remove the file name's extension and substitute it with pdf.
Finish with a '"' and a <RET>!

You too can try to convert à la TeXShop: 'pstopdf <EPS input file>',
optionally you can add the PDF output file's name. pstopdf can work
in Terminal when you first type 'pstopdf ' and then drag the EPS file
from Finder onto Terminal and type the final <RET>. By default the
PDF output file will be created in the same directory from which you
dragged the EPS file. A possible cause for an error can be that this
directory is not writable ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

The mathematician who pursues his studies without clear views of this
matter, must often have the uncomfortable feeling that his paper and
pencil surpass him in intelligence. (Ernst Mach)