[OS X TeX] What does this warning mean?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Jan 5 23:54:42 CET 2006

Hello Themis,

On 06/01/2006, at 7:55 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> I get the warning:
>
> Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex
> (file ./fig
> ures/fig_trapped.pdf): pdf inclusion: Page Group detected which
> pdfTeX can't ha
> ndle. Ignoring it.

I've seen this message too...

> As far as I can tell, figures/fig_trapped.pdf looks fine, both when
> opened in a previewer and when it is included in my latex document.
> Should I worry?

  ... but it should be safe to ignore.

Here is what I *think* it means.

When you include a PDF image you are essentially adding information
from one PDF document, merging it into another.
pdfTeX tries to do this efficiently; e.g. with respect to font usage,
and other resources. For example, if a font is already available
in the document being built, there is no need to include it again
just for use in the "image".

Thus pdfTeX analyses the complete structure of the document being
included. This involves looking at its /Pages tree, if there is one
--- as must be so if the image comes from a multi-page PDF.

Of course this /Pages tree from the image is largely irrelevant
in the main document, which has its own /Pages tree.
So long as all the visible objects are included, then the image
will show correctly in the new document. However, other things
like form fields, annotations and hyperlinks are not included.

I'd say that the message is intended as a reminder that there are
some things in the image PDF that could not be included, but that
this probably has no real (visual) effect.

Others (e.g., Hans) may be able to give a more precise
interpretation of just what this message relates to.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au