[OS X TeX] BibDesk autocompletion issue

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Jan 5 02:05:42 CET 2006

On Wednesday, January 04, 2006, at 01:39PM, Michael S. Hanson <mshanson at wesleyan.edu> wrote:

>On Jan 4, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Michael S. Hanson wrote:
>>
>>>     I am having difficulty with autocompletion in BibDesk 1.21:
>>> when I press [F5] to complete a citation in TeXShop (version 2.03
>>> on OS X 10.4.2), I only see the first matching citation in
>>> the .bib database, not the whole list of possible matches that
>>> earlier versions (1.18?) of BibDesk would show.  Completing
>>> internal references in the .tex file with [F5] works fine.
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I'm not seeing this behavior with BibDesk 1.2.1. I assume you have
>> the proper .bib file open in BibDesk or that BibDesk opens that
>> file automatically when it starts up.
>
>     Yes, I do (and did at the time I sent the above message).
>Upgrading to the most recently nightly build at <http://
>bibdesk.demokratia.org/beta/BibDesk-20060103.dmg> did not remedy the
>problem, even after re-installing the plugin.  Downgrading to version
>1.19 did fix the problem -- and I did not re-install the plugin from
>this version.

The plugin hasn't changed since I hacked around the problem with TeXShop's Ogre find panel last September, so reinstalling it won't do anything.

> Re-installing 1.21 returned to the "broken" behavior.
>Note that renaming the preference files between re-installs also had
>no effect.  Any other suggestions for getting version 1.21 to work
>correctly would be appreciated.

As I wrote earlier, please send me a sample file and directions to reproduce the problem off-list; random guesses at the cause will not be as productive as running it in the debugger.

>     Incidentally, the "Open Recent >" menu item also did not work
>for me in BibDesk 1.21: no files were ever listed.  It did work
>correctly in the 2006-Jan-03 nightly beta and in version 1.19, the
>latter of which I am using for now.

I haven't heard of this problem with 1.2.1, although I've had it occur randomly in the past.  The only thing I can think of that would cause this behavior is a corrupt preference file, so you might try quitting BibDesk, moving ~/Library/Preferences/edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk.plist to the desktop, and relaunching BibDesk.

-- Adam