[OS X TeX] Timing

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Feb 24 09:47:37 CET 2006

On 23 Feb 2006, at 22:07, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2006, at 18:58, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> [snipped: tex in Terminal is faster than TeX in TeXShop]
>>
>> And if you redirect the output in Terminal to /dev/null, it is
>> even faster
>> because even Terminal is slowing the job down.
>>
>>     pdflatex foo.tex >/dev/null 2>&1
>
> Telling tex not to produce the output in the first place with
>
> pdflatex -interaction=batchmode foo.tex
>
> will also surpress all output to the terminal (and somehow seems
> cleaner to me).

It could be argued that producing the output is part of a normal TeX
run. But a good set of benchmarks would produce the following figures
at least
- small job and large job (plain TeX)
- plain TeX, LaTeX and ConTeXt (large jobs)
- batchmode, /dev/null and Terminal (large jobs)
All independently from local setup (private tree with special
texmf.cnf) and with local setup

Basic TeX speed would be measured with a large, independently run
plain TeX job (like the TeX book) with output redirected to /dev/null.

I would like to create a real TeX benchmark program but I lack the
time to do so.