[OS X TeX] Font in TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 23 15:13:22 CET 2006

On Feb 23, 2006, at 7:38 AM, Arthur Snoke wrote:

> I found the following message from Bruce very useful.  After
> changing scale to scaled, the latex file not gives no error
> messages and the output looks fine.
>
> I would appreciate examples showing how I sould use the Helvetica
> and Courier.  I have a command to make headers:
>
> \newcommand{\heading}[1]{\begin{center}\large\bf #1\end{center}}
>
> To make it use Helvetica instead of the default font, does this work?
>
> \newcommand{\heading}[1]{\begin{center}\textsf\large\bf #1\end
> {center}}
>
> If so, does the order matter?

Howdy,

Short answers are yes, it will work and no, the order is not important.

> Will the \texttt or the \verbatim environment automatically use
> Courier?

Again, yes.

> Finally, what in these commands tells it to use Times rather than cm?

The \usepackage{mathptmx} sets up Times as the roman font and also
the maths fonts are changed to ones that better fit with Times.

The \usepackage[scaled=0.92]{helvet} set up Helvetica scaled down by
a multiplicative factor of 0.92 (i.e., if you are using 10pt Times
the Helvetica will be set at 9.2pt to better match the Times) as the
sans serif font. I tend to like it even smaller---scaled to 0.87---
but that is personal.

The \usepackage{courier} sets up Courier as the mono-spaced font.
There is a scalable Courier package on CTAN, couriers.sty, that
allows you to scale Courier as you can Helvetica. I then use courier
scaled up a tiny bit.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Arthur Snoke

By the way, while \bf still works (for backward compatibility) to
declare bold face you should be using \bfseries.

Finally, why are you defining this heading macro? It makes no table
of contents entry, etc. Try the sectsty or titlesec packages; they
are really nice.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)