[OS X TeX] Font in TeXShop

Arthur Snoke snoke at vt.edu
Wed Feb 22 20:29:50 CET 2006

Comments have been made in this thread that Times New Roman and Times are
almost identical.  On the mac, I find one significant difference between
them, and also for how Times New Roman is rendered in different
applications.  This is relevant to the current thread because it suggests
there are several sets of fonts on the Mac with the same descriptors but
different properties, so compatibility among font rendering can be
problematic.

In WORD, for size 11 (for example), Times takes up significantly less
space than TNR -- that is more words on a page with Times.  Also find
things like word spacing different depending on the font -- and to some
extent the size.

If I have a WORD (Office X) document and want to preserve links when
saving to PDF (I have Acrobat 7), it does not work in WORD, but it does
work in OpenOffice 2.  But the same document with the same font and size
takes up more space (fewer words per page) in Open Office than in WORD.
Also, not all characters are rendered correctly in Open Office (version
2).  NeoOffice (which last I looked is based on OO v1.something) does not
preserve links but has a much better html writer than WORD but again
fonts are not rendered the same as in WORD -- although more characters
come across okay.

I would appreciate explanations to these observations.  Also, is "Times"
more likely to be rendered the same among applications compared to "TNR"?
Are some sizes (12 vs. 11, for example) more likely to work better when
communicating between WORD and LaTex -- and with users on different
operating systems?  That is, are any among these more universal?