[OS X TeX] Track Changes - Functionality for collaborative work

Winfried Zettelmeyer Winfried at Zettelmeyer.com
Tue Feb 21 18:12:46 CET 2006

Bruno and William,
the report can be submitted in pdf or in doc format, no restrictions
from this side.
However, LyX as I just learned from the LyX homepage, is a document
processor in appearance just as complicated for a "WYSIWYG" as LaTeX
or, for that matter, TeXshop, even if the LyX site label it WYSIWYM
[ean]. So, no solution for the problem of frustrating my team
colleagues (until they are converted).

Robert,
I have immediately \usepackage[d]{lineno} and do have these beautiful
small line numbers on my pdf output file's margin now. There are,
consequently, at least 3 choices available: (1) comments in a
separate text file keyed to the line, (2) comments with Adobe Acrobat
Professional, and (3) make the reviewers wade through the source file
adding coloured comments.

Another (4) possibility I have just tried is to produce a WORD file
from the pdf output file to have the reviewers use their customary
track changes tool on the doc text. However, I could not manage to
save my 215 page pdf file as doc. It took about 40 minutes and Adobe
Professional hung up (not responding) while saving the last page. Of
course, formatting, tables etc. would be gone in that doc file anyway.

Thank you for your answers, another expansion of horizon !
Winfried

On 21 Feb 2006, at 14:42, Bruno Voisin wrote:

Le 21 févr. 06 à 14:30, William Adams a écrit :

> My suggestion would be to use LyX and to get that installed on
> everyone's systems. It's sufficiently Word-like that people are
> reasonably comfortable with it.

In case the collaborative work is a paper or book for which the
publisher is supplying (and requiring) an in-house LaTeX class, that
may not be possible, depending on the ability of LyX to import LaTeX
classes or packages.

I'm only guessing, as I'm not using LyX myself. But I was faced with
the problem once when helping Windows colleagues to use Scientific
Word for writing papers: after several unsuccessful attempts to
import the required LaTeX class in Scientific Word, they finally gave
up and migrated directly from MS Word to standard LaTeX.

Bruno Voisin