[OS X TeX] Elusive (for me) problem with TeX i-Package configure on Intel

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Feb 21 10:14:15 CET 2006

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 07:49:04AM +0100, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>> On 21 Feb 2006, at 01:11, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>>
>> >Gerben,
>> >
>> >When I had the problem (the machine is gone now), I was installing
>> >a fresh machine -- I didn't move anything over. Why not do the same
>> >and see if you experience the problem I saw and Dick saw?
>>
>> For the main reason taht it is also my intel developer machine and
>> using it fresh for testing would take a lot of time. Hence, this is
>> for me now the fastest. If it does not work, I'll have to resort to
>> using my developer machine as fresh install machine. And there are
>> other reasons having to do with what I think are possible reasons
>> which would mean I will not be able to reproduce here even if I do a
>> fresh install.

> Some thoughts:
>
> Is it possible to maintain multiple copies of osx on different
> partitions? It is what I do with linux to experiment with other
> distros and to make major changes and upgrades reversible.
>
> Can you tell osx NOT to mount certain partitions, e.g. via fstab?
> If that were possible, then it would be less of a hassle to use the
> same machine for testing and for developing. Another option is
> installing on an external drive.
>
> For testing, my favorite solution is virtual machines. I personally
> hope that vmware comes through with a version supporting osx both as
> host and as guest.

This is all true. But the machine came with an install on one huge
partition and I am so stressed for time currently, that planning a whole
redesign of the machine is out of the question. Unless somebody knows a
way to create a small partition with destroying the existing one.

You can rely on me that I do not ask for things like this unless it is -
given the circumstances - the best thing to do.

Remember, this is a strange problem because logically there is no reason
why my machine, which runs the latest versions of all programs like you
all do, should work differently from other machines which do the same,
irrespectively of how the software was installed. If I run the LM Font
Conversion on my machine, the fonts are created fine. This is done using a
default recent install of fontforge, freetype etc. It is very unlikely
that a clean install I would do would produce a different result.

So, my first order of business is to find out why these machines run
different than mine. That way, I can also catch upload/download trouble
(e.g. people running older versions because somehow one of the
repositories is out of date) etc. With this procedure I can also catch
errors I may have in my synchronization protocols which would make sure it
does not happen again.

But time constraint is a major problem now.