[OS X TeX] PDF sync with TeXShop & XeLaTeX

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Feb 15 14:25:29 CET 2006

On 15 Feb 2006, at 1:05 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 15 févr. 06 à 12:36, Paul Vickers a écrit :
>
>> Trying again as a new thread:
>>
>> I love the pdf sync feature of TeXShop and use it a lot. However,
>> I have found it doesn't seem to work when using XeLaTeX as the
>> engine rather than LaTeX. Is there something I'm missing?
>
> As far as I understood not using it myself, the package pdfsync.sty
> works by inserting certain tags in TeX's PDF output (using pdfTeX,
> or TeX + dvips + Ghostscript). Depending on how XeTeX creates its
> PDF output (using actually xetex + xdv2pdf), these tags may or may
> not work with it.

I believe the mechanism is slightly different (though the conclusion
is similar): if I remember right, pdfsync.sty actually writes an
auxiliary file with the sync information. But in order to do this, it
needs to know where it is on the page while executing a \write
command; and standard TeX doesn't know this. So I assume it is using
a pdfTeX extension, and therefore won't work with XeTeX.

In theory, a technically-inclined user could create a XeTeX
equivalent, by modifying pdfsync.sty to write \special commands with
the sync data, and modifying xdv2pdf_mergemarks (a Perl script that
post-processes the output) to read this and create the pdfsync file
that TeXShop expects. But I'm not going to attempt this myself, as
the little time I can spend on XeTeX-related development is going
into other features....

> You might have more luck directing your question to the XeTeX
> mailing list <http://tug.org/mailman/listinfo/xetex>, though I
> think Jonathan Kew, the developer of XeTeX, monitors the OS X TeX
> list also very closely.

Not always closely, though I do try to notice if XeTeX issues come
up. It's always nice if someone answers them for me, though! :)

> Or have I misunderstood your question, and are you speaking of
> TeXShop's separate PDF synchronization function based on Tiger's
> PDF searching abilities, or to the combination of both, as allowed
> by TeXShop in Preferences > Misc > Sync Method?

The built-in "Search" sync method has worked reasonably well for me
(it can be a bit fussy, depending on the nature of your text). I
don't use pdfsync.sty (see above).

JK