[OS X TeX] /private/var/root/Library/texmf

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Feb 14 21:24:30 CET 2006

On Feb 14, 2006, at 02:03, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 14.02.2006 um 01:25 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> That's what I was afraid of... a slip! I think I'll alias updmap to
>> updmap-sys just to be safe.
>
> But only for the root user! (joking)
>
> Well, if updmap is invoked instead of updmap-sys, nothing bad happens.
> Only when root would tex a document it would be set due to root's
> private environment.
>
> I don't know exactly know how i-Installer works, but I could find that
> I made my mistake early in January, in the first days with Tiger. Some
> weeks later I updated with i-Installer and I am sure it did *not* warn
> me about root's private installation. I think the way i-Installer
> gains root privileges is different from the 'sudo -H' command, it's
> more like a simple 'sudo' which keeps the original user's runtime
> environment as root's own.

It is quite complicated in the TeX i-Packages (TeX, CM-Super, etc):
- If texconfig-sys is available (2004 and later)
	- If the package is installed with admin privileges (remember you can
switch this off in Pkg Properties)
		sudo -H -u root <command-sys>
	- Else
		sudo -H -u <you> <command>
- Else (2003)
	- If the package is installed with admin privileges (remember you can
switch this off in Pkg Properties)
		sudo -H -u root <command>
	- Else
		sudo -H -u <you> <command>

The TeX i-Package uses sudo -H -u on any command.

> A clean experiment would be to check whether root has this private
> set-up. If not, create it with 'sudo -H updmap ...'. Then check your
> own. If you have, rename ~/Library/texmf/web2c to something different,
> web3c for example. Now your own environment is clean, but root's not.
> Trying to re-configure only in i-Installer should trigger the warning
> about a private set-up. If not, it's quite clear that i-Installer runs
> only in sudo instead of 'sudo -H' mode ...
>
> I am quite sure that i-Installer runs only in the simple sudo mode --
> because otherwise it might have problems to work in the *proper*
> environment. This proper environment is created from a PLIST (property
> list) file in the (normal) user's ~/Library/Preferences directory.
> Migrating the process environment completely to root would create a
> completely new runtime environment. And this one could be faulty ...
> i-Installer wouldn't know where the i-Packages are saved on disk for
> example, or what the search path is.

I don't understand this scenario (and I wrote the stupid program ;-)

It is easy to equate installing TeX with i-Installer, but i-Installer
is a *generic* installer and this stuff about configuring TeX is part
of the TeX i-Package and i-Installer (the program) cannot have
knowledge of it. But maybe that is not the misunderstanding.

Anyway, a setup in root's private directory should be detected if root
has a login shell. If it does not, there is no harm in its existence.