[OS X TeX] using \usepackage with other .sty files

KL Tah kl_tah at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 13 23:45:44 CET 2006

Hi All,

I've been having problems including packages with ready-made .sty files
I found in ctan.
For example, I'm trying to generate a resume with the res.sty package
such that it uses some nice fonts.
I've tried putting the commands

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{textcomp}

in either res.sty or in my tex file itself but got the following errors:

! LaTeX Error: LaTeX2e command \usepackage in LaTeX 2.09 document.

! LaTeX Error: \usepackage before \documentclass.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.21 \usepackage[T1]{
                      fontenc}
?