[OS X TeX] configuration

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Feb 12 23:05:19 CET 2006

Am 12.02.2006 um 17:52 schrieb McGarry Vince:

> When attempting to configure TeX a dialogue box shows up that says
> that there is a personal users configuration file with no other
> option other than to proceed. There is nothing in my personal tree,
> ~/Library/texmf/ except one shell script in ~/Library/texmf/bin.
> The configuration files appear to be in var/root/Library/texmf---
> inaccessible to me (unless someone will show me the way). It is my
> understanding that this (these) file(s) shouldn't be there---am I
> mistaken? This seems to lead to another problem with updmap which
> may go away if I can find this configuration file, but if it
> doesn't, I'll be back with more questions

Probably you've invoked 'sudo -H updmap ...' or 'sudo -H fmtutil ...'
-- the right command names for systematic use are extended by '-sys'
each ...

You can try to determine which MAP and configuration files are stored
there with this command for the command line:

	sudo -H find /var/root/Library/texmf -type f \( -name "*.map" -o -
name "*.cfg"  -o -name "*.cnf" \) -ls

I found some MAP files there, too! My MAP files are in /var/root/
Library/texmf/fonts/map/{dvipdfm,dvips,pdftex}/updmap and do not mean
anything, except for the user root if it would tex something, and
that they're a waste of disk space.

If you added some own MAP files, you should move them to the
directory to be created /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/
locals/updmap (create it with 'sudo -H mkdir -p /usr/local/teTeX/
share/texmf.local/fonts/map/locals/updmap') and run sudo -H texhash
afterwards. Then you'll need to enable each of them with sudo -H
updmap-sys --nohash --enable ...

If you have some other CNF or CFG files you'll to transfer the
changes into the system's own version. Compare their contents with
diff on the command line or other means and 'transfer the changes
somehow' -- it would take too much time and space to describe this in
more detail for a dozen of different tools and editors!

To remove scrap: sudo -H rm -rf /var/root/Library/texmf

--
Greetings

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.