[OS X TeX] Question about gwTeX for Intel

Alun J. Carr alun.j.carr at ucd.ie
Sun Feb 12 19:10:02 CET 2006

I notice that the Intel binaries for gwTeX are installed under

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-current

Does this mean that they are compiled with optimization for the i386
architecture? Whilst this makes sense in a Linux distribution (they
may be running on a machine of that vintage), surely it would be
better to compile the Mac binaries for one of the Pentium family: at
a guess, -mtune=pentium-m, given that Apple's gcc doesn't have a flag
for the Yonah architecture (although this switch leaves out SSE3
instruction generation)?

I'm not knocking Gerben's efforts: he has done a brilliant job of
porting TeX to Mac OS X, and we all owe him a big debt of gratitude.

Best regards,

Alun

==

Dr Alun J. Carr
School of Electrical, Electronic, and Mechanical Engineering
University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland

Phone: +353-(0)1-716 1989
Fax: +353-(0)1-283 0534