[OS X TeX] paths in input & include

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 00:31:51 CET 2006

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> […] At the end of that file, add one line:
>
> openout_any = r

> […] Other editors may handle it  differently.

1) Everything works now.

2) For your amusement only. Of course, I started with TextEdit:

    Open texmf.cnf. OK
    Add line at the bottom. OK
    Save. Dialog comes up: "The file txmf.cnf is read-only. Attempt to
    overwrite?"
    Click Overwrite. Dialog comes up: "Couldn't save document as
    texmf.cnf in folder teTeX"

Reminded me of my grandmother. She would ask me: Do you want potatoes or
noodles? I would say noodles. She would say, sorry, I am out of noodles.
But it was a ritual and /she/ was joking.

But, so far, all is as warned. So, I give up and want to close:
Dialog comes up: Do you want to save changes to this document before
closing? If you don't save, your changes will be lost.
Thinking OS X had a change of heart, I click Save.
Been there.

> If you're not sure how to edit a root-owned file with the editor(s)
> you happen to have, another option is to change the owner of the file
> using the Finder: select its icon, choose File / Get Info, and go to
> the Ownership & Permissions section at the bottom. Click the little
> padlock to unlock the settings (password required), and change the
> owner to your own user name. Then you're free to edit the file.

Did that and, for good measure, restarted.
Back to TextEdit. Now it doesn't even offer me to overwrite. Also, right
next to txmf.cnf there is a txmf.cnf.20040810002154 that I would swear
wasn't there before.

Now the bright idea: TeXShop. Saves /texmf.cnf like a charm and all was
well ever after.

3) Re: \includegraphics only *reads* files while \include *write*
files. It clarifies the whole thing.

So, thanks to everybody, I can now proceed to organize my huge flat
folder (300 files? 400 files? I will describe neither the why nor the how.)

Most grateful regards
--schremmer