[OS X TeX] LaTeX (2005/12/01) Release Beta Test

Wolfgang Schmidle Wolfgang.Schmidle at sunderland.ac.uk
Sat Feb 11 21:12:48 CET 2006

> Hi all,
>
> Since there are so many cutting edge kinda people on this list, I
thought
> some of you might enjoy playing with the new beta release of LaTeX
> 2005/12/01. Some of the tools packages have had serious updates so
> we would be more than happy to receive comments on them (calc,
> varioref, and xspace in particular).

[snip]

> Problems should be reported via the normal LaTeX bug reporting
> mechanism at
>
>   http://www.latex-project.org/bugs-upload.html
>
>    Rainer Schöpf
> --
> Morten

Hello,

xspace no longer works in the following example:

\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{xspace}
\newcommand{\becomes}{$>$\xspace}
\begin{document}
A \becomes B
\begin{tabular}{l@{ \becomes }l}
A & B \\
\end{tabular}
\end{document}

To make it work, I have to replace the second \becomes by its definition
(without xspace, of course). Why is this so? I'm reluctant to report
this as a problem because I'm not sure if xspace was ever meant to work
in such a situation.

Wolfgang