[OS X TeX] math mode or math mode?

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Feb 9 01:02:31 CET 2006

Hi Alain,

On 09/02/2006, at 10:28 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> Well, depending on what one means by "explain", that does explain
> it. (But why would one ever need such cockaminy rules … never mind.)

These could be useful with fractions, where there is a significant
difference between \displaystyle and \textstyle .
e.g.
  Use  \mathsmaller  when there is a very wide numerator or denominator.
  Use  \mathlarger for a fraction in a footnote, say with superscripts
  on superscripts.

> So, I suppose that I will have to live with
>
> \begin{equation*}
> \textstyle{\denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}}\;\denom{Dollars}
> \end{equation*}

  \textstyle is a declaration, not a macro with argument.
So you probably want to delimit it as follows:

     {\textstyle\denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}}\;\denom{Dollars}

> I guess that's what macros are for!

Of course!  Define your own pseudo-math-smallcaps:

  \DeclareRobustCommand{\mathsc}[1]{{\textstyle\parsemathsc #1
\parseend}}
  \def\parsemathsc#1#2\parseend{\denom{\uppercase{#1\mathsmaller{#2}}}}

used as    $\mathsc{Deci}$  etc.

This is only pseudo- since only the very first letter remains at full
size.
e.g.    $\mathsc{DECI}$ and $\mathsc{Deci}$ give the same result.

> Very grateful regards nevertheless
> --schremmer

BTW,  did you try:  $\textsc{\sffamily Deci}$ ?
It gives small-caps, but in *Roman* style, not sans-serif.

This is because there is no ss-small-caps font.
viz.

\font at name ->\OT1/cmss/m/sc/6
{select font cmcsc10 at 6.0pt}

Hope this helps,