[OS X TeX] math mode or math mode?

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Wed Feb 8 23:44:58 CET 2006

Le 8 févr. 06 à 22:15, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> With
>
>    \DeclareMathAlphabet{\denom}{OT1}{cmss}{sbc}{n}
>
> I don't understand why there is a difference between
>
>    $\denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}\;\denom{Dollars}$
>
> and either
>
>    \begin{equation*}
>    \denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}\;\denom{Dollars}
>    \end{equation*}
>
> or
>
>    \begin{displaymath}
>    \denom{D\mathsmaller{ECI}}\;\denom{Dollars}
>    \end{displaymath}
> In the latter two cases, \mathsmaller does not seem to have an effect.

Looking in the relsize.sty source, one finds at the end:

<quote>
Current style       \mathsmaller gives         \mathlarger gives
---------------     ----------------------     ------------------------
\displaystyle       \textstyle (almost same)   \displaystyle in a
\larger font
\textstyle          \scriptstyle               \displaystyle (almost
same)
\scriptstyle        \scriptscriptstyle         \textstyle
\scriptscriptstyle  \scriptscriptstyle (same)  \scriptstyle
</quote>

So what happens is that in the displayed equations (the latter two
cases) one is in the first line of the table: \mathsmaller gives an
almost same smaller (just cramped a bit)

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)