[OS X TeX] OT: help with font embeddings

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Feb 8 23:10:16 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 06:18:14AM -0500, Stephen Moye wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 5:17 AM, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> >
> >I mentioned the xpdf suite. After installing Tiger, I compiled it
> >from source on a fink-free system, but forgot to document the
> >process. Is currently anybody doing any work towards an xpdf
> >ipackage?
> >
> >--
> >Siep Kroonenberg
>
> Funny you should say that -- I just installed some of the xpdf tools
> (pdftops,
> pdftotext, pdfimages, pdfinfo and pdffonts): it was a simple install
> requiring
> only that the xcode tools be installed. The package from foolabs will
> not
> install xpdf and pdftoppm because (I discovered when running ./
> configure)
> FreeType and Motif could not be found. That was odd because I did
> install
> FreeType using the i-Installer. I gather, however, that xpdf itself
> is a previewer,
> as well as a gui interface for the other utilities, so that is not
> really necessary.
> pdftoppm might be nice however...
>
> In short, I have also been wondering if we could get an i-package out
> of this,
> though I hesitate to burden Gerben any further... :>}

For people who want a bit more detail:

I just checked what it really takes to install xpdf from source,
excluding xpdf itself and pdftoppm. I don't have Fink or any such
packaging system, I moved /usr/local to /usr/local0 and re-logged
in. So what I did should work on a barebones Tiger with just XCode
installed.

My standard environment variables include the following
possibly relevant variables:

CFLAGS=no-cpp-precomp
LANG=UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=C

I had also upgraded XTools a couple of weeks ago to the latest
version.

With this starting point, I did the following:

Downloading xpdf-3.01.tar.gz from
http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html

Unpacking:

cd ~/tmp
tar xzf xpdf-3.01.tar.gz

Patching:

Downloading xpdf-3.011pl1.patch from the same place as the tar
cd ~/tmp
patch -p0 <xpdf-3.01pl1.patch

Configuring

cd xpdf-3.01
./configure --without-x

I got the following warnings (in spite of the --without-x option)

############################
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find X
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find Motif
configure: WARNING: Couldn't find FreeType
configure: WARNING: -- You will be able to compile pdftops, pdftotext,
        pdfinfo, pdffonts, and pdfimages, but not xpdf or pdftoppm

make
sudo make install

The binaries were apparently unstripped; they were about 3mb
each. Stripping reduced this to .7 - .8 mb:

cd /usr/local/bin
strip pdfinfo

Siep Kroonenberg